PREVIEW: WHKY looks for offence against Western, Windsor
Hawks head to London for School Day Game against Mustangs before returning home to host Lancers
Thursday, January 25, 2018 - Posted by Jamie Howieson
Game Dates/Times: Friday, January 26 - 11:30 a.m. (at Western); Saturday, January 27 - 6:07 p.m. (vs Windsor)
Game Locations: Thompson Arena (at Western); Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex (vs Windsor)
Live Webcast: OUA.tv
Live Audiocast: RadioLaurier.com (vs Windsor only)
Tickets: tickets.laurierathletics.com (vs Windsor only)
THE LOW DOWN
In the midst of their second five-game losing streak of the season, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks will be looking to get themselves out of last place in the OUA this weekend as they take on the No. 10 Western Mustangs and the Windsor Lancers.
The Hawks will be hoping a boost of energy in the form of a School Day Game crowd in London will be the cure to their recent struggles when they face the Mustangs on Friday morning. The Hawks played a strong game against the Mustangs in their first matchup, losing a narrow 3-1 decision.
Returning home on Saturday, Laurier squares off against the Lancers, a team that sits just two points ahead of them in the conference standings. The Hawks will be hoping to avenge a 4-0 loss to the Lancers in Windsor back in November and leapfrog Windsor to get out of the OUA basement.
Bring your skates and have some fun on the ice prior to Saturday's game against Windsor. From 4:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. the ice will be open to all friends of the Golden Hawks. You will have a chance to skate with members of the women’s hockey team and you can also do some laps with Midas the Hawk. If you start to feel the chill of the arena, free hot chocolate will be provided.
All Laurier students will be able to gain entry to the game for one dollar!
Immediately following the Laurier's men’s hockey game, approximately 3:45 p.m., both the men’s and women’s hockey teams will be set up on the track to sign autographs. Team photo cards will be provided.
NEED TO KNOW
- despite losing their last five games, three of those losses have come by just a single goal, with Laurier taking both Ryerson and Waterloo, two teams battling for a playoff spot, to a shootout
- Laurier has lost three straight games to Western while they have dropped two straight to the Lancers
- rookie netminder Hannah Miller is in the conversation for OUA Rookie of the Year, leading the conference in save percentage for goalies with at least 10 starts, while sporting the fourth-best goals against average
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (1-1-11-3)
F Madison MacCulloch (Toronto)
- the third year forward netted her second goal of the season in Laurier’s 2-1 shootout loss to Waterloo last Sunday
- one of four players to score multiple goals this season for a struggling offence, look for her to continue her strong play from the Waterloo game into this weekend’s contests
No. 10 Western Mustangs (10-2-5-2)
F April Clark (St. Marys, Ont.)
- third year forward has been a dynamic offensive presence for the Mustangs this season sitting tied for fourth in conference scoring with 18 points
- scored twice in Western’s win over Laurier in November, one of four games this year that she’s scored twice
Windsor Lancers (2-1-14-2)
F Taylor Conte (Amherstburg, Ont.)
- third year forward is tied for fourth in team scoring with seven points to her name in 2017-18
- played a key role in Windsor’s victory over Laurier earlier this season, scoring twice, including once on the powerplay
Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com