PREVIEW: MHKY takes on Western and Guelph
Golden Hawks return to action this week facing off against Western and Guelph
Thursday, January 25, 2018 - Posted by Meghan Daniels
Game Dates & Times: Thursday, January 25 – 7:00 p.m. (at Western), Saturday, January 27 – 1:30 p.m. (vs Guelph)
Game Location: Thompson Arena (at Western), Sun Life Financial Arena (vs Guelph)
Live Webcast: OUA.TV (Western & Guelph)
Tickets: tickets.laurierathletics.com (vs Guelph only)
The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team will head into this week’s play hungry for victory in order to bring Coach Greg Puhalski his 100th win behind the Golden Hawks bench. First facing off against the Western Mustangs and then the Guelph Gryphons, the purple and gold will be lacing up hoping to sweep the week’s games.
Bring your skates and have some fun on the ice in following the men’s game against Guelph. From 4:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. the ice will be open to all friends of the Golden Hawks. You will have a chance to skate with members of the men’s hockey team and you can also do some laps with Midas the Hawk. If you start to feel the chill of the arena, free hot chocolate will be provided.
All Laurier students will be able to gain entry to the game for one dollar!
Immediately following the men’s game, both the Laurier men’s and women’s hockey teams will be set up on the track to sign autographs. Team photo cards will be provided.
NEED TO KNOW
- The Golden Hawks are currently tied for second in the OUA West standings, with 29 points off a 13-6-3 record
- The Western Mustangs are entering play this week riding a six-game winning streak and are currently sixth in the OUA West standings with a 10-9-2 record
- Entering off a recent loss to Brock University, the Guelph Gryphons have 33 points to their name sitting in a tie for first place in the OUA West standings with a 16-5-1 mark on the season
- The last time the purple and gold faced off against the Mustangs, they were victorious 3-2
- This week the Hawks will look to heat up the ice and capitalize on home ice as last Thursday’s showdown against Guelph at their annual Frosty Mug game proved difficult for the Hawks as they froze up taking a shutout loss of 5-0
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (13-6-3)
LW Neil Aird (Ancaster, Ont.)
- The second-year communication studies major currently has three goals and eight assists to his name
- The left winger helped fuel Laurier's comeback from a three goal deficit against Waterloo in their last contest, helping the purple and gold to pick up a point
Western Mustangs (10-9-2)
C Cody Brown (Wasaga Beach, Ont.)
- The social science major currently has ten points on the season consisting of five goals and five assists
- Brown has scored in each game against the Golden Hawks this season
Guelph Gryphons (16-5-1)
F Manny Gialedakis (Woodbridge, Ont.)
- The last time the Hawks faced off against the Gryphons, the accounting major had one goal and two assists
- Currently has 17 points on the season consisting of five goals and 12 assists
Following this week’s matchups, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks will have back-to-back games on home ice at the Sun Life Financial Arena. The first will be the fourth and final meeting of the year against the Western Mustangs on Thursday, February 1 at 7:07 p.m. Following this, the purple and gold will face off against the Toronto Varsity Blues on Friday, February 2 at 7:07 p.m.
Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com