MHKY drops shootout decision to Waterloo
Hawks rally from 3-0 deficit only to fall 5-4 in a shootout

Sunday, January 21, 2018 - Posted by Meghan Daniels

WATERLOO, Ont. (January 21, 2018) - The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's hockey team lost for the first time in seven games to their crosstown rivals, the Waterloo Warriors on Saturday night, falling 5-4 in a shootout at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex.

Laurier fell behind early in this contest as Waterloo hit the ice determined, controlling the pace in the opening 20 minutes where they were rewarded with three goals off the sticks of Mike Moffat (Waterloo, Ont.), Eric Cimino (London, Ont.), and Keigan Goetz (New Hamburg, Ont.). 

The three-goal blitz forced head coach Greg Puhalski to swap his goaltenders for the third time in four games as Colin Furlong (Cambridge, Ont.) came in for Chris Festarini (Oakville, Ont.) in an attempt to put some energy into his club.

The move proved successful as the Hawks were able to take advantage on a late period power play opportunity where Brandon Robinson (Pickering, Ont.) scored to send Laurier to the dressing room trailing 3-1.

The Hawks continued to chip away at the Warriors, slowling tilting the ice in their favour and at the 16:41 mark of the second frame, Erik Pushka (Duglad, Man.) found the back of the net as he secured his fifth goal of the season bringing the score to 3-2. 

Early in the third, the Hawks took advantage of their momentum as Christian Mroczkowski (Kitchener, Ont.) and Jacob Hetherington (Kingston, Ont.) scored less than two minutes apart to put Laurier in front 4-3.

However, with five minutes left in the third, Moffat responded to bring the game to a 4-4 tie and ultimately forced the game to shootout.

With Anthony Sorrentino (Woodbridge, Ont.) being the sole scorer for the Hawks, the Warriors own Moffat scored the game-winning shot to finish the game 5-4. 

Pushka and Mroczkowski paced the way for Laurier as they tallied a goal and an assist on the night.

Furlong took the loss in net for the Hawks as he stopped 20 of 21 shots in relief. Festarini finished his night with eight saves on 11 shots.

On the other side of the ice, Waterloo's Trevor Martin (Ardrossan, Alta.) took the win as he turned aside 27 of the 31 shots sent his way in regulation and two of three shots in the shootout.

Next up the Hawks will hope to bring Coach Greg Puhalski his 100th regular season win as they will be heading to the Thompson Arena to face off against the Western Mustangs on Thursday, January 25 at 7:00 p.m. Then, Laurier will be back on home ice for their annual Autograph Day on Saturday, January 27 where they will face the No. 8 Guelph Gryphons at 1:30 p.m.

Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial, personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast, published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at