PREVIEW: MBASK invade "The Six"
Hawks descend upon Toronto for a back-to-back with the Varsity Blues and Ryerson Rams
Friday, November 24, 2017 - Posted by Mac Turchan
Game Dates and Times: Friday, November 24 – 8:00 p.m. (at Toronto) and Saturday, November 25 – 8:00 p.m. (at Ryerson)
Game Locations: Goldring Centre, Toronto and Mattamy Athletic Centre, Toronto
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: OUA.tv
Tickets: at Toronto, at Ryerson
THE FULL 40
The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s basketball team wraps up their schedule against the OUA’s East Division this weekend when they travel to face the Toronto Varsity Blues (3-3) and defending OUA champion Ryerson Rams (4-2) Friday and Saturday night.
Laurier Head Coach Justin Serresse has preached the need for his team to come out prepared to play with intensity for the full 40 minutes every night. In their last two losses to Carleton and Queen’s, a lackluster stretch, or quarter, has doomed the Hawks (3-4) on both occasions. The No. 1 Ravens were able to ride a big second quarter to victory two weeks ago, while last Saturday the Gaels made the purple and gold pay in the first for a rocky start.
However, during that stretch the Hawks also managed to pull off a couple quality wins over Ottawa and York that were characterized by strong mental efforts in tough close-out situations deep in the fourth quarter of both games. The young Hawks have proved they can play with full intensity throughout, the key against quality opponents such as Toronto and Ryerson this weekend will be to sustain that mental intensity across both nights.
- At 3-4, the purple and gold still manage to sit in second place in the OUA West, with U SPORTS No. 2 Brock the only team with a winning record in the division
- In the early going this season, a surprise story may be that of the Algoma Thunderbirds (3-5), who have won three straight after dropping their first five game of the year
- The Rams hold the second-best defence in the OUA so far this season, holding opponents to 66 points a game on 36 percent shooting
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (3-4)
F Ben Stevens (Halifax N.S.)
- The rookie took advantage of some added minutes from Coach Serresse during last Friday night’s win against York, putting up 15 points and 16 rebounds in his best game as a Golden Hawk
- Serresse will look for Stevens to continue to get involved on defence and on the glass, if he does that look for it to translate on offence as well
Toronto Varsity Blues (3-3)
G Reilly Reid (Mississauga, Ont.)
- In his second year with the Blues after transferring from the NCAA, Reid has taken the lead guard role for Toronto, leading the team in minutes played (32 MPG) and points (14 PPG)
Ryerson Rams (4-2)
F Keevon Small (Montreal, Que.)
- An OUA All Rookie Team member last season when the Rams won the championship, Small is taking his game to the next level this season in averaging 32 minutes a game
- Had his best showing of the season last time out, dropping 21 points on the road in Guelph
Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com