PREVIEW: WBASK head to Toronto
Looking to build off an upset victory over Queen's, the Hawks are set to battle Toronto and Ryerson in our provincial capital
Friday, November 24, 2017 - Posted by Matthew Strapp
Game Dates and Times: Friday, November 24 – 6:00 p.m. (vs. Toronto) and Saturday, November 25 – 6:00 p.m. (vs. Ryerson)
Game Locations: Goldring Centre, Toronto and Mattamy Athletic Centre, Toronto
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: OUA.tv
Coming off an upset victory over the 10th ranked team in Canada last Saturday, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women’s basketball team will look to carry momentum into this upcoming weekend. In their previous game, the Hawks pulled off a 72-70 victory over the Queen’s Gaels, powered by 38 points from Nicole Morrison (Hamilton, Ont.). This weekend, the Hawks are set to play two games in downtown Toronto.
First is a matchup with the University of Toronto Blues on Friday evening at the Goldring Centre. The Blues have a 2-4 record on the year and have lost two games in a row. They have four points on the season, good enough for the sixth best record in the OUA East standings.
Saturday will see the Hawks battle the Ryerson Rams at Mattamy Athletic Centre. The Rams sit in third-place in the OUA East with a 4-2 record. Before their date with Laurier, they will battle the Waterloo Warriors the night before, hoping to defeat the Warriors and extend their winning streak to four games.
As for the Hawks, with a 4-3 record, they hold the fourth spot in the OUA West standings. The Hawks possess a 2-1 record on the road this season, having defeated Laurentian and Nipissing but falling to Brock in the season-opener.
NEED TO KNOW
- Morrison’s 38 points were the most points scored in a single-game in Laurier women’s basketball history, surpassing the 32 picked up by Meaghan McGrath (Toronto, Ont.) in 2006.
- The Hawks have owned the Blues in recent history, having won five of the past six meetings
- Laurier and Toronto played in the first-round of the OUA Playoffs last season, ending in an 86-74 Laurier win
- The Hawks defeated the Rams in a thriller last season, escaping with a 68-66 victory
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (4-3)
#16 F Irena Rynkiewicz (Mississauga, Ont.)
- The third-year forward has earned a double-double in two consecutive games, during which she totalled 21 points and collected 23 rebounds.
- The Mississauga native led the OUA in three-point percentage last year, shooting at a clip of 40.7 percent.
#32 G Rachel Woodburn (Ajax, Ont.)
- Last season’s team rookie of the year tied a career-high in steals last Friday, taking the ball away four times.
- A solid all around player, Woodburn leads the team in steals, is second in scoring, second in three-point percentage, and third in assists.
University of Toronto Blues (2-4)
#4 G Keyira Parkes (Scarborough, Ont.)
- The third-year guard is an incredible threat from the outside. The Scarborough native is second in the OUA in three-point percentage (63.6%) and fifth in overall shooting percentage (52.2%)
Ryerson Rams (4-2)
#8 F Sofia Paska (Etobicoke, Ont.)
- A two-time OUA first-team all star, Paska is a veteran who has developed into an efficient scorer and rebounder.
- The fourth-year forward is averaging the fourth most points per game this season, dropping 18.0 points per contest, in addition to averaging eight rebounds.
Copyright © 2017
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com