PREVIEW: MBASK look to defend home court
First homestand of the year for the Hawks continues this weekend against York and Queen'S
Friday, November 17, 2017 - Posted by Mac Turchan
Game Dates and Times: Friday, November 17 – 8:00 p.m. (vs. York) and Saturday, November 18 – 8:00 p.m. (vs. Queen’s)
Game Locations: Laurier Athletic Complex, Waterloo
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: OUA.tv and Radio Laurier
Tickets: vs. York, vs. Queen’s
NO LETTING UP
The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks Men’s Basketball team endured one of the most difficult schedules they could have possibly faced to open the 2017/2018 OUA season, with four out of their first five games against opponents in the nation’s Top 10. The Hawks emerged from that stretch sporting a 2-3 record, good for fourth in the OUA’s West Division.
The purple and gold are now through the toughest part of their schedule and will look to avoid a drop in the consistent intensity they have shown on both ends early this season, as they welcome in a pair of quality opponents to the Athletic Complex this weekend in the York Lions (2-3) and Queen’s Gaels (3-1).
Head Coach Justin Serresse has expressed the importance of his team taking away lessons from matchups against the OUA’s elite, a point echoed following a tough outing last Saturday against No. 1 Carleton. The emphasis on hard work and constant improvement make it hard to believe that this squad will take anything for granted. They have certainly shown that they are growing as a group, scoring a signature win over then-No. 7 Ottawa last Friday.
- The OUA’s East Division is proving to be a stacked deck this season. Although the Lions own a respectable 2-3 record, they sit in last place as the only team with a sub-.500 record
- The Hawks have proven to have some bonafide marksmen from beyond the arc this season as they rank fourth in the OUA in three-point shooting at 36.4 percent
- Justin Serresse was recognized in an article by the Toronto Star this week, documenting the increasing diversity among basketball coaches in U SPORTS
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (2-3)
G Matt Minutillo (Brantford, Ont.)
- Quietly leading the Hawks in minutes played this season, Minutillo made all the little plays last weekend against Ottawa that paid big dividends in pulling off the monumental victory
- Has displayed increased efficiency and confidence shooting the ball this year, knocking down 45 percent of his looks from three and shooting 83 percent from the charity stripe
York Lions (2-3)
G Josiah Riley (Brampton, Ont.)
- A key part of a balanced Lions offence, Riley has started all five games for York, averaging 14 points and four rebounds
Queen’s Gaels (3-1)
G Jaz Bains (Brampton, Ont.)
- Bains has been a revelation since joining the Gaels from the college ranks, posting 22 points a game on 47 percent shooting, he will be a handful for the Hawks defence
Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com