PREVIEW: WBASK welcome Ottawa foes to town
In what could be a memorable weekend for Nicole Morrison, the Hawks are set to battle Ottawa and Carleton
Wednesday, November 8, 2017 - Posted by Matthew Strapp
Game Dates and Times: Friday, November 10th - 6:00 pm and Saturday, November 11th - 6:00 pm
Game Location: Athletic Complex Gym, Waterloo (Ottawa & Carleton)
Live Webcast: OUA.tv (Ottawa & Carleton)
Live audiocast: radiolaurier.com (Ottawa & Carleton)
Tickets: laurier.universitytickets.com (Ottawa & Carleton)
With wins over Nipissing and Laurentian last weekend, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women’s basketball team now hold a record of 2-1. The purple and gold will look to continue their winning ways this weekend against formidable opponents in the Ottawa Gee-Gees and the Carleton Ravens.
For the Hawks, Friday’s game will be the home-opener for the 2017/2018 season and could feature a milestone for one of the greatest female basketball players to ever don a Laurier uniform. Fifth-year guard Nicole Morrison (Hamilton, Ont.) has 992 points for her career and is likely to go over 1000 this weekend. Further, there’s a chance Morrison surpasses graduate Kaitlyn Schenck (Kitchener, Ont.) for third on the Hawks all time-scoring leaderboard, as she’s only 27 back of Schenck’s career total of 1019.
Meanwhile, Ottawa, the victims of a first-round playoff exit last season opened their 2017/2018 campaign on Friday with a 76-45 victory over Algoma, but were defeated 80-66 the next day by Guelph. As for Carleton, the defending OUA champions have continued where they left off last year by opening this season with two wins. On Friday, the Ravens dismantled Guelph 89-46, then on Saturday showed no mercy to Algoma, handing the Thunderbirds a 93-37 defeat.
NEED TO KNOW
- The Hawks beat the Nipissing Lakers 83-40 last Friday and the Laurentian Voyageurs 81-75 on Saturday.
- Morrison tied her career high in the game against Laurentian, scoring 25 points.
- In the early season U-Sports rankings, Carleton is ranked fifth nationally.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (2-1)
#5 G Nicole Morrison (Hamilton, Ont.)
- The Hamilton product leads the OUA in scoring, totalling 60 points so far this season.
- She has been a master at getting to the line, making 20 free-throws out of 25 attempts. The 20 makes are second most in the OUA.
#11 G Rachel Woodburn (Ajax, Ont.)
- The second-year guard is coming off her best game of the season against Laurentian in which she scored 17 points on six of eight shooting from the field
- A member of last-season’s OUA All-Rookie Team, Woodburn is expected to have an even bigger role this season. The Ajax product will be relied upon more in the scoring department, to help fill the void as a result of the graduation of Schenck.
Ottawa Gee-Gees (1-1)
#11 G Amelie Hachey (Drummondville, Ont.)
- The second-year guard leads the league in steals, averaging a whopping five per game
- Hachey has scored in the double-digits in both games this season, totalling 10 points against Algoma and earning 15 in the loss to Guelph
Carleton Ravens (2-0)
#10 Emma Kiesekamp (Merrickville, Ont.)
- Standing at 6’1”, the first-year forward is a force in the paint defensively. Through two games she has recorded five blocks.
Copyright © 2017
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org