PREVIEW: WSOCC aim to finish strong
A victory over Brock combined with results from around the OUA could give the Hawks a playoff bye
Friday, October 20, 2017 - Posted by Mac Turchan
Game Date and Time: Sunday, October 22 – 1:00 p.m. (vs. Brock)
Game Location: University Stadium, Waterloo
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: N/A
Tickets: vs. Brock
AN UNDETERMINED FATE
The Laurier Golden Hawks Women’s Soccer team enter the final weekend of the OUA regular season with many questions still unanswered in respect to where they will finish in the final standings come Sunday evening. The Hawks (6-2-7) are grouped together tightly with the Guelph Gryphons and Waterloo Warriors in seeds two-through-four in the OUA West Division. With Guelph and Waterloo holding games in hand on the purple and gold, the Hawks fate will not be solely in their hand this weekend. They will need some results elsewhere to go in their favour if they want to move up.
However, the Hawks will not need to worry about scoreboard watching if they cannot take care of business in their season finale on Sunday afternoon when they take on the Brock Badgers (4-9-1) at University Stadium. Having drawn four straight contests, the purple and gold will need the full three points if they want a shot a Guelph’s number two seed and a first round playoff bye.
With the Badgers coming in losers of two straight lopsided matches, this is a great opportunity for the Hawks to regain their killer instinct heading into the postseason by jumping on a wounded foe.
When these two teams met all the way back in August in the season opener, the Badgers stunned the Hawks with two late goals to draw 2-2. In a surprising turn of events, the Badgers were forced to concede that game almost two months after the fact, due to an ineligible player.
- Regardless of this week’s results, Laurier will host a playoff game. That match will either take place on Oct. 25 for a first round matchup, or on Oct. 28 or 29 for a quarter-final
- Nationally-ranked Western and UOIT have now locked up first place in their respective divisions
- Make sure to stick around for the men’s game on Sunday, a marquee match that will determine if they secure a playoff position!
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (6-2-7)
MF Pauline McCordic (North Vancouver, B.C.)
- The super-consistent veteran is always a calming presence on the field for her team and is able to contribute in many ways, not just on the scoresheet, very important traits for big games
- Scored a clutch equalizer in Windsor last Sunday afternoon to propel the Hawks to a 1-1 draw, her weekend performance earning her the Laurier Female Athlete of the Week nod for the third time in her career
Brock Badgers (4-9-1)
GK Marilena Spagnolo (St. Catharines, Ont.)
- Spagnolo has done a good job in goal during what has certainly been a tumultuous campaign for the Badgers, holding her own under a heavy workload which has her first in the OUA in minutes played (1261:00)
- Ranks fourth in the OUA in total saves (75) and fifth in shutouts (6)
Copyright © 2017
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com