PREVIEW: WSOCC renew Battle of Waterloo
Part two between the Hawks and Warriors this year in a high-stakes late season clash
Thursday, October 5, 2017 - Posted by Mac Turchan
Game Date and Time: Friday, October 6 – 11:00 a.m. (vs. Waterloo – School Day Game)
Game Location: University Stadium, Waterloo
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: N/A
Tickets: vs. Waterloo
JOCKEYING FOR POSITION
In what has been a successful campaign to date Laurier Golden Hawks Women’s Soccer team enter the final stretch of the regular season with everything to play for. They sit just a single point back of the OUA West Division’s second seed and the first-round playoff bye that comes with it. Following the Hawks (6-2-4*) closely in their rear-view mirror are a number of teams looking to overtake the purple and gold for the third seed.
One of those teams is intercity rivals the Waterloo Warriors (5-2-4), sitting three points off the pace. The Hawks and Warriors meet up for the second installment of the Battle of Waterloo this season on Friday morning at University Stadium in the Annual 'School Day Game'. The purple and gold will have several different motivational factors coming into the contest; playoff positioning, pride, and retribution. When these two teams locked up for the first time in 2017 at Warrior Field, the Warriors spoiled a great road effort from the Hawks, equalizing in stoppage time for a 1-1 draw.
- Neither the Hawks or Warriors have been able to gain a leg up on the other in recent installments of the Battle of Waterloo. You would have to go all the way back to September 2015 to find the last match between these two that ended with a victor, the Hawks coming out on top 2-0 at home
- With 22 points on the season, the purple and gold have already surpassed their total from a year ago, which was 18
- Following a run of high octane offence from the Hawks, Laurier leads the OUA West with 21 goals scored. Interestingly enough, they would only rank sixth in that category in the East
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (6-2-4)
F Gagan Parhar (Surrey B.C.)
- While floating under the radar to some extent, Parhar has been one of the most consistent offensive threats for the Hawks, co-leading the team in goals with four, including another last week in a 4-1 win over McMaster
Waterloo Warriors (5-2-4)
F Danielle Erb (Waterdown, Ont.)
- Erb was the thorn in the Hawks side on Sep. 10, burning Laurier in stoppage time. The freshman striker is second on the Warriors with four goals this season
OUA MAKE ANNOUNCMENT
*The OUA released a statement earlier this week regarding the Brock Badgers’ use of an ineligible player early this season. As a result, the Badgers had to forfeit four matches, including a match on Aug. 25 against Laurier. That result has changed from a 2-2 draw to a 1-0 Hawks win, changing the Hawks record from 5-2-5 to 6-2-4.
Copyright © 2017
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com