Game Dates and Times: Friday, September 29th 3:15 pm and Sunday, October 1st 3:15 pm
Game Locations: University Stadium, Soccer Complex
Live Webcast/Radio Coverage: OUA.tv
Home Tickets: vs. McMaster
On Friday afternoon, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s soccer team will look to continue their winning ways against the McMaster Marauders at University Stadium. Then, following Homecoming festivities on Saturday, the Hawks will travel a few kilometres east for a matchup against the Guelph Gryphons. Both games are scheduled to be 3:15 pm kickoffs.
For the Hawks, they have won their past two games, both wins coming against Algoma last weekend and as a result, have moved up in the standings. They are now tied for sixth in the OUA West. This weekend will be a challenging test and one that could make or break the Hawks hopes of a potential playoff run.
Friday’s opponent, the McMaster Marauders, have 21 points for the year, good enough for second place in the division. The Marauders enter Friday’s game having won four in a row. Meanwhile, the Guelph Gryphons, the 2016/2017 OUA champions, currently occupy the top spot in the division having one more point than McMaster on the season, but also having played one more game. The Gryphons are ranked fifth in the national rankings.
Players to Watch
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks (3-6-1)
#10 F Nikola Miokovic (Kitchener, Ont.)
- The fourth-year forward is tied for ninth in the league in goals scored, having netted five this season
- He scored two goals in the previous game against Algoma
#9 F Antonio Hecimovic (New Hamburg, Ont.)
- The second-year forward has two game winning goals this year, tied for third best in the OUA
- He has scored three goals this season, including a beautiful free-kick goal against Algoma on Sunday
McMaster Marauders (7-2)
#9 MF Sasha Ricciuti (Thornhill, Ont.)
- The fourth-year sniper has six goals this season, tied for fifth most in the OUA
- He is tied for third in the league having scored two game-winning goals
Guelph Gryphons (7-2-1)
#10 F Jace Kostopoulos (Burlington, Ont.)
- The third-year forward is second in the league having scored ten goals
- He is first in the league in shots, totalling 33 this season