PREVIEW: MSOCC to host two games this weekend
Golden Hawks set to battle Windsor and Western at University Stadium
Thursday, September 14, 2017 - Posted by Matthew Strapp
Game Dates and Times: Saturday, September 16th - 3:15 pm (vs. Windsor) and Sunday, September 17th - 3:15 pm (vs. Western)
Game Locations: University Stadium, Waterloo
Live Webcast/Radio: OUA.tv
Tickets: vs. Windsor, vs. Western
This weekend will feature two Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s soccer games, both coming at 3:15 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday’s game is against the Windsor Lancers for Laurier's Dollar Day, while Sunday’s tilt is a battle versus the Western Mustangs. The Hawks have yet to face either opponent so far this season.
For the Hawks, they will hope to carry over some momentum from a come-from-behind tie last weekend against Waterloo. Trailing the Waterloo Warriors 2-0 at the break, the team fought back and tied the game at 2-2, earning the Hawks a valuable point on the road.
Windsor will enter Saturday’s contest having had a busy start to their 2017 campaign. The Lancers have played seven games thus far, the most out of the nine teams in the OUA West division, and sit tied for third place having garnered seven points. Their most recent game was a loss, falling 3-1 to the Mustangs last weekend.
Conversely, the Western Mustangs currently own the podium. With 13 points on the season due to a 4-0-1 record, the squad is tied for first place with Guelph despite having played one less game than the Gryphons. The Mustangs are scheduled to play the Waterloo Warriors on Saturday before the Laurier game on Sunday, and will enter Saturday’s game on a three-game win streak.
Players to Watch
Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks
#0 M Laith Adi (Mississauga, Ont.)
• The first-year midfielder scored his first goal as a Golden Hawk in the previous game against Waterloo.
• In the 90th minute, Adi blasted a scorcher overpowering the Waterloo goalkeeper.
• An exceptional passer, Adi plays as a central midfielder.
#12 MF Gurjinder Garcha (Burlington, Ont.)
• Similar to Adi, the fourth-year midfielder/forward scored his first goal of the 2017 campaign in the tie against the Warriors.
• The 2015/2016 team rookie of the year, Garcha is a speedy playmaker with terrific on-the-ball skills.
#7 M Kyle Ruggaber (Windsor, Ont.)
- The fourth-year midfielder leads the team in goals, having scored four this season.
- A speedy midfielder, Ruggaber has recorded at least one shot in all but one game in the 2017 campaign.
#1 GK Kody Thomson (Calgary, Alta.)
- The third-year goalkeeper has two shutouts this season.
Copyright © 2018
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at email@example.com