MBASE announces 2017 tryout schedule
MBASE tryouts for defending regular season Pennant winners set to begin on August 19th
Thursday, June 15, 2017 - Posted by Scott Ballantyne
WATERLOO, Ont. (June 15, 2017)- The 2017 edition of the Wilfrid Laurier men’s baseball program will officially kick-off the season on Saturday, August 19th with the first official try-out for the 2017 team. The returning players have been working hard together since November to prepare for the 2017 season as they work hard at re-gaining the OUA Championship.
The tryouts are open to all student-athletes interested in earning a spot on the 2017 roster. All interested players should meet at Bechtel Park (Bridge St. and University Ave.) at 11am on Sat. Aug. 19th to meet the coaching staff and sign in. We will hold try-outs on both Sat. Aug. 19th and Sun. Aug. 20th to get a good look at all our returning players and new recruits.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEDICAL INFORMATION:
- Incoming first year student athletes (including freshmen, transfer students, and Laurier students not in first year who have not participated in an interuniversity sport) are required to have completed by a physician, The Initial Health Assessment Form before he participates in an interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out.
- Returning student athletes are required to complete The Veteran Athlete Health Assessment Form before he participates in interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out. This form updates the student athlete’s medical history over the past 12 months.
- Any athlete who has been prescribed with an asthma medication must have the prescribing physician compete the CCES – Abbreviated TUE Form (Therapeutic Use Exemption).
No athlete will be allowed to participate in the workouts until these forms are completed and submitted to the coaching staff. Please have them completed prior to arrival on Aug. 19th to help ensure the sign-in process goes smoothly to allow for practice to begin promptly. For first year student athletes, in the event that a medical cannot be arranged with your family doctor, please contact Coach Ballantyne and there will be arrangements made to have a doctor at Laurier conduct the physical assessment. Please be aware that there is a charge for completing this process through Wilfrid Laurier University.
All on-field workouts will be held at Bechtel Park in Waterloo (University Ave. East Exit from the Expressway – turn right on Bridge St. and park is on the right hand side). See directions at the following link: http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?cid=14715058714550483899&q=bechtel+park&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=SFtCTOucEYiOzQSLg-iaCA
The practice schedule is as follows:
- Sat. Aug. 19th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
- Sun. Aug. 20th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
First cuts will be made following Sunday’s practice
- Fri. Aug. 25th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
- Sat. Aug. 26th DH vs. Ontario Royals at 12pm (Arrive at park for 9:30am) – Returning players and select incoming freshmen will participate in these games.
- Sun. Aug. 27th Inter-squad game at 1pm at Bechtel Park – BP at 11:00am
Final cuts will be made following the game
All activities from this point on will involve only those selected for the team
- Mon. Aug. 28th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park; followed by Orientation at 3:30pm on Campus
- Tues. Aug. 29th Exhibition DH vs. St. Clair College at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s – Games starting at 11am (Bus leaves at 8am)
- Wed. Aug. 30th DH vs. Humber College 12pm ( Arrive at the park for 9:30am)
- Thurs. Aug. 31st – DAY OFF
- Fri. Sept. 1st – Games at the University of Toronto as part of the Blues Tournament – Games at 10am and 1pm
- Sat. Sept. 2nd – Games at the University of Toronto as part of the Blues Tournament – Games at 1pm and 4pm
- Sun. Sept. 3rd – Games at the University of Toronto as part of the Blues Tournament – Game at 1pm
There will be a $40 try-out fee which will cover some initial fees before the season begins. Each player trying out will receive a WLU Baseball t-shirt. In addition, those making the team will receive admission to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s on Tuesday as well as a BBQ lunch provided.
Please contact Head Coach Scott Ballantyne at email@example.com if you have any questions and to confirm that you will be trying out for the team.
First year students travelling from out of town should plan to make their own arrangements for accommodations during the week of tryouts. There may be an opportunity for some of the veterans to help out the first year students and provide accommodations during the week of tryouts, so those interested in making such arrangements should contact Coach Ballantyne immediately and every effort will be made to accommodate those travelling great distances.
Copyright © 2017
The contents, but not any logo or other visual representation, of
the Golden Hawk Website may be used and reproduced solely for non-commercial,
personal or educational purposes provided that it is not modified and that
you do not delete any copyrights and other legal or proprietary notices contained
therein. Such information may not otherwise be used, reproduced, broadcast,
published or re-disseminated without the prior written permission of Wilfrid Laurier Athletics.
For more information visit our Terms of Service page on our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org