Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo Campus is an affiliate member of Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and U Sports Canada. The Coach will ensure the unit’s policies, programs and services are delivered equitably across all platforms to ensure our student athletes have the ability to succeed academically, athletically and within the community.
Wilfrid Laurier Athletics & Recreation is seeking a passionate and experienced coach to lead the Women’s Varsity Rugby program. Reporting to the Manager, Interuniversity Sport Programs the Coach will develop the Women’s Rugby Program, while creating a positive environment for student athletes.
The Head Coach will be accountable for the successful operation and strategic direction of the Laurier Women’s Rugby Program. More specifically, the accountability of this position would currently include the hiring, discipline and performance management of the assistant coach(es) as any positions directly related to the Women’s Rugby operation. Leading the team members as a positive role model, the position is also responsible for leading the interaction with 25-35 student-athlete members of the Women’s Rugby team. During the “season”, the operation needs to be managed thoroughly including both training and competition. Out-of-season duties for the Head Coach include accountability for a recruiting strategy designed to attract top quality student-athletes.
The incumbent will also be responsible for directing an effective off-season strength and conditioning program, in consultation with our Strength and Conditioning Coach, and will be accountable, in consultation with the Director, Athletics and Recreation and the Manager, Interuniversity Sports Programs, for providing the leadership and strategic direction of a successful student-athlete development program. The Head Coach is implementing a fundraising strategy in conjunction with the Manager, Interuniversity Sport Programs.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Player recruitment, selection and evaluation
• Develop, implement, and evaluate annual training plans for the team and individual players including skills development, strength and conditioning, technical preparation, and implementation of tactics and strategies
• Conduct weekly practices, attend all games (weekdays, evenings & weekends)
• Travel with the team to competitions
• Oversee the health and safety of participants
• Encourage student athletes to develop and maintain strong academic standing
• Act as a representative of Laurier and conduct oneself in a professional manner in accordance with University policy
• Perform administrative duties in collaboration with the Manager, Interuniversity Sport ProgramsQualifications:
The successful candidate will possess: coaching experience at a post-secondary or high school level or equivalent; coaching related certifications (NCCP certification preferred); demonstrate commitment to the team by attending all soccer program activities; ability to interact with and mentor athletes within a post-secondary setting; strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, leadership and team building skills. Standard First Aid and CPR certificate is required.
Please submit a cover letter & resume (including coaching credentials) to Ryan Lannan
(Manager, Interuniversity Sport Programs)
Phone: 519-884-0710 ext. 3428This is a yearly part time position from May 1st, 2017 – April 18th, 2018 (start date subject to negotiation)
Salary: Volunteer Coach with some Remuneration
Note: The position will remain opened until filled. Goal to have position filled by February, 2017