WATERLOO, Ont. (July 20, 2017) - The 2016 edition of the Laurier Men’s Baseball Program will officially kick-off the season on Saturday, August 20th with the first official try-out for the 2016 team. The returning players have been working hard together since November to prepare for the 2016 season as they work hard at re-gaining the OUA Championship.
The tryouts are open to all Laurier students interested in earning a spot on the 2016 roster. All interested players should meet at Bechtel Park (Bridge St. and University Ave.) at 11am on Sat. Aug. 20th to meet the coaching staff and sign in. We will hold try-outs on both Sat. Aug. 20th and Sun. Aug. 21st to get a good look at all our returning players and new recruits.IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEDICAL INFORMATION:
• Incoming first year student athletes (including freshmen, transfer students, and WLU students not in first year who have not participated in an interuniversity sport) are required to have completed by a physician, The Initial Health Assessment Form
, before he participates in an interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out.
• Returning student athletes are required to complete The Veteran Athlete Health Assessment Form
, before he participates in interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out. This form updates the student athlete’s medical history over the past 12 months.
• Any athlete who has been prescribed with an asthma medication must have the prescribing physician compete the CCES – Abbreviated TUE Form
(Therapeutic Use Exemption)
No athlete will be allowed to participate in the workouts until these forms are completed and submitted to the coaching staff. Please have them completed prior to arrival on Aug. 20th to help ensure the sign-in process goes smoothly to allow for practice to begin promptly. For first year student athletes, in the event that a medical cannot be arranged with your family doctor, please contact Coach Ballantyne and there will be arrangements made to have a doctor at Laurier conduct the physical assessment. Please be aware that there is a charge for completing this process through Laurier.
All on-field workouts will be held at Bechtel Park in Waterloo
(University Ave. East Exit from the Expressway – turn right on Bridge St. and park is on the right hand side).
The practice schedule is as follows:
- Sat. Aug. 20th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
- Sun. Aug. 21st 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
First cuts will be made following Sunday’s practice
- Fri. Aug. 26th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
- Sat. Aug. 27th DH vs. McGill at 12pm (Arrive at park for 9:30am) – Returning players and select incoming freshmen will participate in these games.
- Sun. Aug. 28th Inter-squad game at 1pm at Bechtel Park – BP at 11:00am
Final cuts will be made following the game
Those selected for the team will then participate in the following:
- Mon. Aug. 29th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park; followed by Orientation at 3:30pm on Campus
- Tues. Aug. 30th Exhibition DH vs. Ontario Terriers and University of Toronto at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s – Game times 10:00am and 1:00pm
- Wed. Aug. 31st DH at Humber College 1:00pm (plus leaves at 9am)
- Thurs. Sept. 1st – DAY OFF
- Fri. Sept. 2nd – Travel to Windsor for the weekend (Bus leaves at 11am) Game at Windsor at 7:00pm
- Sat. Sept 3rd – Exhibition DH vs. St. Clair College at 12:00pm – Lacasse Park, Tecumseh
- Sun. Sept. 4th – Exhibition Game vs. St. Clair College at 11:00am – Lacasse Park, Tecumseh
There will be a $40 try-out fee which will cover some initial fees before the season begins. Each player trying out will receive a Laurier Baseball t-shirt. In addition, those making the team will receive admission to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s on Tuesday as well as a BBQ lunch provided.
Please contact Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE
if you have any questions and to confirm that you will be trying out for the team.
First year students travelling from out of town should plan to make their own arrangements for accommodations during the week of tryouts. There may be an opportunity for some of the veterans to help out the first year students and provide accommodations during the week of tryouts, so those interested in making such arrangements should contact Coach Ballantyne immediately and every effort will be made to accommodate those travelling great distances.