The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's baseball team closed out the 2015 OUA conference season with a DH sweep of the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on Saturday afternoon in Scarborough. Laurier won by scores of 9-4 and 4-3 and finish the regular season with a 14-4 record (24-6 overall) and a 10 game winning streak. The 14 wins tie a school record in conference play and is good enough to earn the Golden Hawks the second seed for the OUA Championship tournament next weekend in London. Laurier will take on the 5th seeded University of Toronto Varsity Blues in Game One of the tournament on Fri. Oct. 16th at 12pm at Dan Pulham Field in London.
Laurier 9 Toronto 4
Laurier jumped out to a big lead in this one with a 5 run 5th inning and cruised to a 9-4 win. Laurier used 17 different position players in this one.
- C Ryley Davenport 2 for 2 with 2 runs scored and a walk
- 1B Jeff Hunt 1 for 1 with a double, 2 runs scored, RBI, walk and stolen base
- CF Jonathan Brouse 1 for 3 with an RBI and run scored
- SS Cal Murphy 1 for 2 with a double, 3 RBI, run scored and HBP
- 3B Matt Voight 1 for 3 with a double
- LF Adam Raithby
- 3B Jonathan Fagnola
- Jordan Petruska gets the win going 5 innings in his last conference start of his career giving up 1 run on 5 hits with 0 walks and 4 strikeouts
- Nathan Folo goes 2 innings giving up 1 run on 1 hit with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk
- Shawn Miller works a scoreless inning
- Austin Hassani goes 1 inning giving up 2 runs on 2 hits and 1 walk
Laurier 3 Toronto 2
This game had a playoff feel as Laurier scored the go ahead run in the top of the 7th inning and Adam McBride closed the door in the bottom of the inning for the win.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R H E
Laurier 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 10 2
Toronto 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 2 7 0
- CF Jonathan Brouse 3 for 3 with a double, run scored and walk
- RF Alex Kupchak 3 for 4 with 3 RBI
- C Ryley Davenport 2 for 2 with a double, sac bunt and HBP
- 2B John King 1 for 2 with a double, 2 runs scored and 2 walks
- DH Daniel Apostoli 1 for 3
- Zach Lawrence with a very strong start going 4 innings giving up 1 run (unearned) on 4 hits with 1 strikeout and 0 walks
- Jake Tougas goes 1 inning giving up 1 run on 2 hits
- Adam McBride gets the win throwing 2 innings giving up 1 hit with 1 strikeout
“We had a very busy week with the make up games with Guelph, Waterloo and Toronto to go along with our regular games with McMaster,” commented Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE. "We were 7-4 as we started the week and ended it 14-4, so we had a pretty good week. We’ve been getting better each week and with another strong week of practice ahead, we’ll be ready for the OUA Championship."