The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s baseball team swept a double header from the McMaster Mauraders on Friday afternoon at Bechtel Park. Laurier shut out the Marauders in both games winning 13-0 and 6-0. Game two saw freshman pitcher Christian Hauck throw the third no-hitter in Laurier Baseball history as he dominated the McMaster hitters over 7 scoreless and hitless innings.
The day was also memorable for Jonathan Brouse as he surpassed Ryan Panas as the all-time hits leader at Laurier. Brouse trailed Panas by 16 hits heading into this season and his hot streak has allowed him to break the record. A tremendous accomplishment for Brouse as he is in his fifth season with the Golden Hawks.
Game One - Laurier 13 McMaster 0
This one started 2 hours late to let the field dry, but the delay didn't bother the Laurier hitters as they jumped out and scored 11 runs in the first inning and cruised to a 13-0 mercy shortened victory.
- RF Alex Kupchak 3 for 3 with an RBI, run scored and stolen base
- CF Jonathan Brouse 2 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- 2B John King 1 for 1 with 3 walks, 2 runs scored and an RBI
- C Ryley Davenport 1 for 3 with 2 RBI, a walk and run scored
- SS Cal Murphy 1 for 2 with 2 RBI and 2 runs scored
- 3B Matt Voight 1 for 2 with 2 runs scored, a triple, walk and RBI
- DH Brett Medland 1 for 4 with an RBI and run scored
- Andrew Ziedins improves to 4-0 on the season with another dominant performance going 5 innings giving up 4 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts
- Noah Ivanyi struck out 2 in his perfect inning
- Evan Cruickshank threw 1 inning giving up 2 walks and a HBP
Game Two - Laurier 6 McMaster 0
Christian Hauck was the story in this one as he threw the 3rd no hitter in Laurier Baseball history. The freshman was outstanding as he struck out 9 and walked 2 on a special night for him.
- CF Jonathan Brouse 2 for 3 with 2 RBI, and a run scored
- LF Adam Raithby 2 for 4 with 2 RBI and a stolen base
- 3B Jeff Hunt 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored and a stolen base
- RF Alex Kupchak 1 for 3 with a walk
- C Daniel Apostoli 1 for 3 with a walk
- 1B John King 0 for 2 with 2 walks, a run scored and stolen base
- 2B Brandon Washkevich 0 for 1 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Christian Hauck throws a no hitter with 9 strikeouts, 2 walks and a HBP for his second win of the season
“What a special day for our program as not only do we have a freshman throw a no-hitter, but Brouse breaks our all-time hits record,” commented Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE. “On top of that, we also threw 2 shutouts and put up 19 runs. All facets of our game clicked today as we pitched outstanding, we made all the plays defensively and we had some really great at bats. We have talked about getting better each week and so far so good from that perspective."
The Golden Hawks are now 22-6 overall (12-4 in conference play) and will conclude the OUA regular season on Saturday with a double header on the road against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.