The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks Men’s Baseball team continued their busy week with the completion of another suspended game on Wednesday night against the University of Waterloo Warriors, followed by the second game of the double header that was rained out in September. Game one was resumed in the 5th inning with the score tied 4-4. Laurier took the lead, coughed it up, but eventually won the game 7-6 in extra innings. In game two, a 3 run HR from freshman catcher Ryley Davenport was the big blow as Laurier emerged victorious 5-3. The two wins push the Golden Hawks conference record to 10-4 (20-6 overall).
When the game resumed Laurier got 2 runs to take the lead in the 7th inning, but Waterloo fought back and tied it in the 8th inning with 2 runs as Laurier had a sloppy inning defensively. Laurier loaded the bases in the 10th inning and Ryley Davenport drove in the go-ahead run with a fielders choice. Nick Murray picked up the win with 2 scoreless innings of relief.
- LF Adam Raithby 3 for 4 with 2 runs scored, RBI and walk
- 3B Matt Voight 3 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- C Daniel Apostoli 3 for 5 with a double and run scored
- CF Jonathan Brouse 2 for 4 with 2 RBI and a double
- 1B Jeff Hunt 2 for 6 with a run scored
- 2B Brandon Washkevich 1 for 4 with a run scored
- RF Alex Kupchak 2 RBI
- SS Cal Murphy, PH Ryley Davenport
- Jordan Petruska worked 8 innings giving up 6 runs on 2 hits with 10 strikeouts, 4 walks and 2 HBP
- Nick Murray gets his first win in relief going 2 scoreless innings giving up 1 walk
Game Two - Laurier 5 Waterloo 3
Ryley Davenport had the big blow in this one with a 3 run HR in the 4th inning. Laurier had a strong start from Adam McBride and the relief corps of Nathan Folo, Shawn Miller and Austin Hassani shut the door, with Hassani picking up his first conference save.
- C Ryley Davenport 1 for 3 with a 3 run HR
- 3B Matt Voight 2 for 3 2ith a run scored
- 2B John King 2 for 4 with a run scored, stolen base and RBI
- 1B Jeff Hunt 1 for 3 with an RBI and stolen base
- CF Jonathan Brouse 1 for 4 with a run scored and stolen base
- DH Brett Medland 0 for 2 with a walk, stolen base and run scored
- Adam McBride gets the win going 5 innings giving up 3 runs on 5 hits with 3 walks, 2 HBP and 5 strikeouts
- Nathan Folo goes 1/3 of an inning with 1 walk
- Shawn Miller gets two big outs against lefties with a strikeout
- Austin Hassani gets the save as he walks 2 and strikes out 1 in his inning
“This was a tough battle as Waterloo has a really strong team as they proved what they are capable of in the 2014 OUA Championships,” commented Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE. “We’re playing well right now, and winning the close games. We got some big performances tonight from our freshmen as Ryley Davenport had a big night offensively and our young pitchers, Nick Murray, Shawn Miller and Austin Hassani all made huge contributions. We pride ourselves on having a deep roster and that was evidenced by the wins tonight.”
The Golden Hawks will resume conference play on Friday with a double header at Bechtel Park vs. McMaster with the first pitch set for 2pm.