WATERLOO, Ont. (July 8, 2015) - The 2015 edition of the WLU Men’s Baseball Program will officially kick-off the season on Saturday, August 22nd with the first official team try-out. The returning players have been working hard together since November to prepare for the 2015 season as they aim to re-gain the OUA Championship.
The tryouts are open to all student-athletes interested in earning a spot on the 2015 roster. All interested players should meet at Bechtel Park (Bridge St. and University Ave.) at 11:00 a.m. on August 22nd to meet the coaching staff and sign in. Tryouts will be held on both Saturday, August 22nd and Sunday, August 23rd to get a good look at all returning players and new recruits.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEDICAL INFORMATION:
• Incoming first year student athletes (including freshmen, transfer students, and WLU students not in first year who have not participated in an interuniversity sport) are required to have completed by a physician, The Initial Health Assessment Form, before he participates in an interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out.
• Returning student athletes are required to complete The Veteran Athlete Health Assessment Form, before he participates in interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out. This form updates the student athlete’s medical history over the past 12 months.
• Any athlete who has been prescribed with an asthma medication must have the prescribing physician compete the CCES – Abbreviated TUE Form (Therapeutic Use Exemption)
No athlete will be allowed to participate in the workouts until these forms are completed and submitted to the coaching staff. Please have them completed prior to arrival on August 22nd to help ensure the sign-in process goes smoothly to allow for practice to begin promptly. For first year student athletes, in the event that a medical cannot be arranged with your family doctor, please contact Coach Ballantyne and there will be arrangements made to have a doctor at WLU conduct the physical assessment. Please be aware that there is a charge for completing this process through WLU.
All on-field workouts will be held at Bechtel Park in Waterloo (University Ave. East Exit from the Expressway – turn right on Bridge St. and park is on the right hand side).
The practice schedule is as follows:
• Sat. Aug. 22nd 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
• Sun. Aug. 23rd 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
• First cuts will be made following Sunday’s practice
• Fri. Aug. 28th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
• Sat. Aug. 29th 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park
• Sun. Aug. 30th Inter-squad game or Exhibition Game at 1pm at Bechtel Park – BP at 11:00am
• Final cuts will be made following the game
• All activities from this point on will involve only those selected for the team
• Mon. Aug. 31st 11:00am-2:00pm at Bechtel Park; followed by Orientation at 3:30pm on Campus
• Tues. Sept. 1st Exhibition DH vs. Ontario Terriers and University of Toronto at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s – Game times 10am and 4pm
• Wed. Sept 2nd Practice at 2pm followed by Team Dinner then Exhibition game vs. Guelph at 7pm at Bechtel Park
• Thurs. Sept. 3rd – Exhibition game vs. Humber College at 12pm – Bechtel Park
• Fri. Sept. 4th – DAY OFF
• Sat. Sept 5th – Exhibition DH vs. St. Clair College at 12pm – Bechtel Park
• Sun. Sept. 6th – Exhibition Game vs. St. Clair College at 12pm – Bechtel Park
There will be a $40 try-out fee which will cover some initial fees before the season begins. Each player trying out will receive a WLU Baseball t-shirt. In addition, those making the team will receive admission to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Mary’s on Tuesday as well as a BBQ lunch provided.
Please contact Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE at email@example.com if you have any questions and to confirm that you will be trying out for the team.
First year students travelling from out of town should plan to make their own arrangements for accommodations during the week of tryouts. There may be an opportunity for some of the veterans to help out the first year students and provide accommodations during the week of tryouts, so those interested in making such arrangements should contact Coach Ballantyne immediately and every effort will be made to accommodate those travelling great distances.