After being rained out on Saturday, the Wilfrid Laurier Men’s Baseball team opened up conference play, and defence of their 2013 OUA Championship with two wins on Sunday vs. Ryerson. Laurier used a combination of dominant pitching and stellar defence to sweep the Rams and start the season 2-0. CF Jonathan Brouse, SS Callum Murphy and 3B Jeff Hunt all made highlight reel plays throughout the day.
Game One - Laurier 6 Ryerson 2
Jordan Petruska was very efficient working 8 innings for the win as he picked up right where he left off last year. The Ryerson pitcher was also very effective, but Laurier took advantage of a number of Ryerson errors to open the season with a victory.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
Ryerson 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 4 9
Laurier 0 3 0 1 1 0 1 0 X 6 9 1
- DH Alex Kupchak 2 for 3 with a double, 2 runs scored, an RBI and SB
- 3B Brandon Washkevich 2 for 4 with 2 runs scroed and an SB
- C Daniel Apostoli 1 for 4 with an RBI and BB
- 3B Jeff Hunt 1 for 4 with a double, run scored and SB
- CF Jonathan Brouse 1 for 5 with an SB
- LF Brandon Manley 1 for 4 with a run scored and RBI
- 1B John King
- Jordan Petruska gets the win going 8 innings giving up 1 run on 3 hits with a walk, 2 HBP and 8 strikeouts
- Zach Lawrence made his OUA Conference debut with a scoreless 9th inning giving up 1 unearned run on 1 hit with 1 walk
Game Two - Laurier 7 Ryerson 0
This game was much closer than the score would seem, as Ryerson held the Golden Hawks close until Laurier was able to broke it open late. Brett van Pelt was dominant in his first start of the conference season.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R H E
Ryerson 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1
Laurier 0 0 0 1 1 5 X 7 7 1
- C Daniel Apostoli 2 for 4 with a walk
- 3B Jeff Hunt 1 for 2 with a double, run scored and RBI
- DH Alex Kupchak 1 for 3 with 2 RBI and a run scored
- CF Jonathan Brouse 1 for 3 with 2 runs scored, 2 SB and a walk
- RF Adam Raithby 1 for 3 with a run scored
- SS Callum Murphy 1 for 2 with a run scored, RBI and 2 SB
- 2B Robbie Cant
- Brett van Pelt with the CG shutout giving up 2 hits with 1 walk and 10 strikeouts
“We are pleased to start 2-0 as any time you can sweep a double header in our league you have to be happy with the result," said head coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE on the wins against Ryerson. "Ryerson is a relatively new team in our league, but they played hard and threw some strong pitching at us. We feel good about our pitching and defence and both were on display today."
The Golden Hawks next non-conference action is Wednesday night when they host the Ontario Blue Jays at 7pm. Laurier returns to conference play next weekend with a double header on Saturday vs. cross-town rival Waterloo and Sunday on the road at McMaster.