Laurier Golden Hawks Logo
Follow Athletics Athletics Twitter Athletics Instagram Athletics Facebook Athletics YouTube Athletics Snapchat           Follow Recreation Recreation Twitter Recreation Instagram Recreation Facebook
Official home of the Golden Hawks
Adopt A Hawk Header Ad
 Adopt A Hawk Header Ad
Outstanding Women of Laurier 2018
 Outstanding Women of Laurier 2018
Men's Hockey
Late Guelph goal sinks Hawks
Laurier: 2 Guelph - Game 2: 3

View Stats
WATERLOO, Ont. (February 16, 2013) - The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's hockey team had their chance to sweep their first round series snatched away by the visiting Guelph Gryphons after a 3-2 loss on Saturday night at the Waterloo Recreation Complex.

Jon-Thomas MacDonald of Niagara Falls, Ont., scored the game-winning goal with just over a minute remaining in the third period to lift Guelph to the win after they fell behind 2-0 early in the game. Nicklas Huard of North Bay, Ont., scored the other two goals for the Gryphons.

As for the Hawks, Mitchell Good of Wellesley, Ont., and Greg Cerilli of Barrie, Ont., each scored their second goals of the playoffs.

In goal, Laurier's Ryan Daniels of Pickering, Ont., stopped 38 of the 41 shots sent his way while Andrew Loverock of Elmvale, Ont., made 25 saves for the win.

"The game in general, Guelph played better than us," commented Laurier head coach GREG PUHALSKI after the game. "Each period they were able to generate more offence and generate more offence. We just simply need to be better in terms of skating, moving and playing like a team."

As was the case in the opener, Guelph jumped on the Hawks early as they looked to force a Game 3 in the series. However, Laurier weathered the early storm and responded with two quick goals to grab the lead. First, Good capitalized on the powerplay with a shot that went off the post and in behind Loverock. Then, Cerilli took a nice feed from Trent Hawke of Wiarton, Ont., and buried it to increase the lead to two.

Guelph got on the board just a minute after Cerilli's goal when Huard scored his second of the series on a powerplay. Huard would continue his offensive outburst five minutes later with his second of the game to tie things at two.

The Gryphons continued to carry the play in the second but couldn't grab the lead thanks to a number of strong saves from Daniels, the Golden Hawks netminder. They outshot the Hawks 16-6 but the score remained locked at two heading to the third period.

Laurier had a glorious opportunity to grab the lead late in the final frame thanks to a four-minute powerplay but the Hawks struggled to get organized and were unable to muster any quality scoring chances.

That set the stage for MacDonald who took a backdoor feed from Nathan Martine of Port Colborne, Ont., and beat Daniels low inside the far post to send the series to a third and deciding game.

The two teams will battle it out tomorrow night in Guelph for the right to move on and face the Windsor Lancers in the OUA Quarter-finals. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Gryphon Centre.
Hawk Shop
Athletes of the Week
Athletes of the Week
Hours of Operation
 Hours of Operation
Purchase Your
Golden Hawk Photos
Purchase Your Golden Hawk Photos
Google AdBanner
Fan of the Game
Wilf's Fan of the Game
Grads Soar
Laurier Grads Soar
Pizza Pizza's Intramural
Team of the Week
Intramural Team of the Week