The 2007 edition of the WLU Men’s Baseball Program will officially kick-off the season on Monday, August 27th with the first official try-out for the 2007 team. In 2006, Laurier qualified for post-season play but was unsuccessful in advancing past the semi-final round. The goal for 2007 is simple: play together as a team and compete for an OUA Championship. The returning players have been working hard together since last November to prepare for the 2007 season and we are looking to improve upon our .500 record this season.
The try-outs are open to all student-athletes interested in earning a spot on the 2007 roster. All interested players should meet at the Athletic Complex in the Hawk Lounge at 10:30am sharp on Mon. August 27th to meet the coaching staff and sign in. Following the sign-in, we will be running the athletes, both returning players and new players, through a series of exercises and drills to test endurance, physical strength and conditioning. This testing will take place at the Athletic Complex and run from approx. 11am-1pm. The athletes will be given one hour to eat lunch, rest and travel to Bechtel Park in Waterloo (corner of Bridge and University) for our on-field try-outs which will take place from 2pm-5pm.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEDICAL INFORMATION:
• Incoming first year student athletes (including freshmen, transfer students, and WLU students not in first year who have not participated in an interuniversity sport) are required to have completed by a physician, The Initial Health Assessment Form
before he participates in an interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out.
• Returning student athletes are required to complete The Veteran Athlete Health Assessment Form
before he participates in interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out. This form updates the student athlete’s medical history over the past 12 months.
• Any athlete who has been prescribed with an asthma medication must have the prescribing physician compete the CCES – Abbreviated TUE Form
(Therapeutic Use Exemption).
(The above forms can all be found at
No athlete will be allowed to participate in the workouts until these forms are completed and submitted to the coaching staff. Please have them completed prior to arrival on Aug. 27th to help ensure the sign-in process goes smoothly to allow for testing to begin promptly at 11am. For first year student athletes, in the event that a medical cannot be arranged with your family doctor, please contact Scott and there will be arrangements made to have a doctor at WLU conduct the physical assessment. Please be aware that there is a charge for completing this process through WLU.
All on-field try-outs will be held at Bechtel Park on Bridge St. in Waterloo. From WLU, travel East on University and turn right on Bridge St. The stadium is on the right hand side of the street, tucked in the back of Bechtel Park. From the expressway, take the University Ave. East exit and turn right on Bridge St. The stadium is on the right hand side of the street, tucked in the back of Bechtel Park.
The Practice Schedule
is as follows:
• Mon. Aug. 27th: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm at Bechtel Park (following the testing in the morning)
• Tues. Aug. 28th: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm at Bechtel Park
• First cuts will be made following Tuesday’s practice
• Wed. Aug. 29th: 11:00 am - 12:30 pm practice at Bechtel park followed by an Exhibition game vs. the University of Guelph starting at 2:00 pm
• Final cuts will be made following the exhibition game vs. Guelph
• All activities from this point on will involve only those selected for the team
• Thurs. Aug. 30th: Team sessions in the morning followed by practice from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm at Bechtel Park
• Fri. Aug. 31st - Sun. Sept. 2nd: No Practices (Enjoy the weekend)
• Mon. Sept. 3rd: 6:00 pm - 8:30pm at Bechtel Park
• Tues. Sept. 4th: Exhibition Game vs. the University of Waterloo at Bechtel at 7:00 pm
• Wed. Sept. 5th: 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm at Bechtel Park
• Thurs. Sept. 6th: Home Opener at 7:00 pm vs. Brock University
There will be a $40 try-out fee which will cover some initial fees before the season begins. Each player trying out will receive a WLU Baseball t-shirt and will have lunch provided on Monday and Wednesday of the first week of tryouts.
First year students travelling from out of town should plan to make their own arrangements for accommodations during the week of tryouts. There may be an opportunity for some of the veterans to help out the first year students and provide accommodations during the week of tryouts, so those interested in making such arrangements should contact Scott immediately and every effort will be made to accommodate those travelling great distances.
Please contact Head Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE
if you have any questions and to confirm
that you will be trying out for the team.