The next chapter for the WLU Men’s Baseball Program will officially begin on Monday, August 28th with the first official try-out for the 2006 team. In 2005, Laurier enjoyed its most successful season in team history, finishing with a 10-8 record and a third place finish in the eight team OUA. The goal for 2006 is simple; win an OUA Championship.
The tryouts are open to all student-athletes interested in earning a spot on the 2006 roster. All interested players should meet at the Athletic Complex in the Hawk Lounge at 5pm on Mon. August 28th to meet the coaching staff and sign in.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEDICAL INFORMATION:
• Incoming first year student athletes (including freshmen, transfer students, and WLU students not in first year who have not participated in an interuniversity sport) are required to have completed by a physician, The Initial Health Assessment Form, www.laurierathletics.com/therapy/TF1.pdf before he participates in an interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out.
• Returning student athletes are required to complete The Veteran Athlete Health Assesment Form, www.laurierathletics.com/therapy/TF-VET.pdf before he particpates in interuniversity sport, which includes the first try-out. This form updates the student athlete’s medical history over the past 12 months.
• Any athlete who has been prescribed with an asthma medication must have the prescribing physician compete the CCES – Abbreviated TUE Form (Therapeutic Use Exemption) www.laurierathletics.com/therapy/TF-CCES.pdf
No athlete will be allowed to participate in the workouts until these forms are completed and submitted to the coaching staff. Please have them completed prior to arrival on Aug. 28th. For first year student athletes, in the event that a medical cannot be arranged with your family doctor, please contact Scott and there will be arrangements made to have a doctor at WLU conduct the physical assessment. Please be aware that there is a charge for completing this process through WLU.
All workouts will be held at Bechtel Park on Bridge St. in Waterloo. From WLU, travel East on University and turn right on Bridge St. The stadium is on the right hand side of the street, tucked in the back of Bechtel Park. From the expressway, take the University Ave. East exit and turn right on Bridge St. The stadium is on the right hand side of the street, tucked in the back of Bechtel Park.
The practice schedule is as follows:
• Mon. Aug. 28th 6:00pm-8:30pm at Bechtel Park
• Tues. Aug. 29th 6:00pm-8:30pm at Bechtel Park
• Wed. Aug. 30th 6:00pm-8:30pm at Bechtel Park
• First cuts will be made following Wednesday’s practice
• Thurs. Aug.31st 1:00pm Exhibition game vs. University of Guelph at Hastings Stadium in Guelph
• Final cuts will be made following the exhibition game in Guelph
• Fri. Sept. 1st - Sun.Sept. 3rd No Practices
• Mon. Sept. 4th – Wed. Sept. 6th Practices with the final team
• Thurs. Sept. 7th Home Opener at 6:00pm vs. University of Western Ontario
There will be a $40 try-out fee which will cover some initial fees before the season begins. Each player trying out will receive a WLU Baseball t-shirt.
Please contact Assistant Coach SCOTT BALLANTYNE
at email@example.com if you have any questions and to confirm that you will be trying out for the team.
First year students coming in from out of town (further than one hour from KW) should contact Scott to arrange accommodations for the week of the workouts.